[KB] Speechless: Ike, Burke and NSC-68

HERBERT W. SIMONS hsimons at temple.edu
Wed Nov 18 17:39:12 EST 2009

Thanks, Tom Walker, for this excellent post. For years our military has made
defense spending attractive politically while rendering criticism of it
impolitic if not unsayable. Ike had the credentials to buck the tide, but
even he had to play the anti-communism card.

Garry Wills in *Nixon Agonistes* has some interesting comments on what Ike
thought privately about Nixon and what he felt obligated to say to him
publicly after Checkers: "That's my boy."

Herbert W. Simons, Ph.D.
Emeritus Professor of Communication
Dep't of STOC, Weiss Hall 215
Temple University, Philadelphia 19122