[KB] "We won"

HERBERT W. SIMONS hsimons at temple.edu
Tue Dec 29 12:27:15 EST 2009

Interesting, Bob. Now, what are the contingencies? Examples: "Our" team, an
underdog, played well, beat the odds, but "we" lost. "My team," the
Phillies, played poorly, and so "they" lost.

Mick Billig cited Quintlilian as urging consideration for the reverse of an
apparently universal generalization. It's Protagoras's dissoi logoi.

On Mon, Dec 28, 2009 at 11:57 PM, <wessr at onid.orst.edu> wrote:

> My experience is that many fans say "we won" but "they lost."
>
> In other words, in what Burke would call their "proportional" mix of
> motives, there are identifications with both "winning" and the "team"
> but the identification with winning outweighs the identification with
> the team.
>
> The fans who say both "we won" and "we lost" have a different
> proportional mix.
>
> Bob W
>
> Quoting Rick Coe <coe at sfu.ca>:
>

> >> I suspect there are few more straightforward examples of
> >> identification than fan[atic]s identification with professional
> >> sports teams (in which category I include major college football
> >> and basketball).  Just think about how often you hear fans say, "WE
> >> won last night," when talking about a group of professional
> >> mercenary athletes who happen to be playing in their city (for now)
> >> and with whom they are certainly not identical.  Heck, I haven't
> >> lived in NYC since I was 20, but I still identify with the Mets,
> >> Knicks, Rangers, Giants, and even the Jets; it still makes me feel
> >> good when they win!

Herbert W. Simons, Ph.D.
Emeritus Professor of Communication
Dep't of STOC, Weiss Hall 215