[KB] Warrantable Outrage

Edappel8@cs.com Edappel8 at cs.com
Thu May 29 23:47:02 EDT 2008

       Greg asks: Would I have done anything differently?  I assume he means,
differently from Roosevelt.  I'll mull.

       As for my "joke," I thought the clear give-away was my reference at
the end to the promotion of "foreign language study" by rhetorical comedy at
such a heavy moment.  We would eventually have been speaking Japanese on the West
Coast and German in the East because we might well have become a wholly owned
subsidiary of the Third Reich and Japan Incorporated.  Heaven forbid, we
would have ended up watching Japanese television sets, listening to Japanese
radios, driving Japanese cars, and snapping pictures with Japanese cameras!  That
would have become our very fate had we lost the war!

       Don't you now understand what wonders the rhetoric of
tragedy/melodrama/romance---call it what you will---has wrought?