[KB] Warrantable Outrage

Edappel8@cs.com Edappel8 at cs.com
Wed May 28 10:06:47 EDT 2008

       In the spirit of the two-part, four-hour documentary on the Presidency
of Franklin D. Roosevelt that aired on PBS the past week or so, I offer the
following rewrite of Roosevelt's speech to Congress, December 8, 1941, the
opening remarks:

       "Yesterday, December 7, 1941, a date which will live, we sincerely
hope, in the annals of international negotiations, the naval and air forces of
the Empire of Japan brought to a head, we have to at this point admit, a
long-standing and pressing need for productive dialogue between our two nations.

       "We regret that the Japanese felt a need to resort to such extreme
measures to underscore existing differences between our two peoples.  We do,
though, acknowledge, however intemperate their actions at our base of naval
operations in Hawaii, that neither side, theirs or ours, has all the answers on what
separates us, on trade, territorial needs, and the balance of influence in
the Pacific region.

       "Accordingly, I am instructing our Secretary of State, Cordell Hull,
to prepare for a meeting between Prime Minister Tojo and myself, as quickly and
expeditiously as possible . . . ."

       Such a Burkean approach would surely have helped avoid further death
and destruction on an historic scale, as well as calmed a freightened and
aggrieved nation.  It might also have eventually facilitated foreign language
studies in the United States, Japanese on the West Coast, and German on the East.

       Multi-culturalism indeed---way before its time!