[KB] Desilet, Moby Dick, and Melodrama

Edappel8@cs.com Edappel8 at cs.com
Tue May 20 17:20:53 EDT 2008

       What follows is a response by Greg Desilet, with Herb's permission, to
a paper Herb Simons presented at NCA in 1999.  Greg read and wrote just a
couple of days ago.  His reply relates integrally to what we've been discussing
here the past few weeks.  Greg said in his correspondence:

> Hello Herb (if I may),

Will absorb these new papers with pleasure. I add one of my own. Here is a
commentary on your paper. Gotta go for now.

I love this paper and admire the style. Very refreshing change of pace from
the usual academic fare—not bloated with references and jargon and very
conversational in tone. I wish I could write like that! But I improve somewhat with
age and with good examples to follow such as you have provided. Thanks for the
opportunity to read it.

The best (read: easiest) way for me to provide commentary or “critique” is
to compare your slant on these issues with the view I’ve been working on and
note the differences.

In my 1989 essay “Nietzsche Contra Burke: The Melodrama in Dramatism,” I
attempted to make a case for seeing the main thrust of Burke’s corpus
(Dramatism/Logology) as still predominantly melodramatic in the “solution” it offers to
the tension, as you express it, between “humble irony” and “warrantable
outrage.” But to characterize this more precisely in the context of the recent
exchange between me and Ed Appel, I’ll refer to the taxonomy I proposed most
recently:

   Factional                         Universal
Synagonistic

Tragedy (Shakespeare)        Tragedy (Wagner)           Tragedy (Greek)
Burlesque (other targeted)    Burlesque (self-targeted)  Burlesque
(all-inclusive) Melodrama (you’re the goat) Psycho-Melodrama         Melodrama
(reflexive;
                                         (I’m the goat; Willie Loman) each
other mistakenly

     made the goat)
 Comedy (satire;                 Comedy (satire; I’m         Comedy (life can
 you’re the fool)                   the fool as Everyman;      make fools of
us all through
                                          Don Quixote)
blindness we do not choose)

What’s going on with the “universal” category here? Well, the way I read
Burke, the Iron Law of History (Order/Through Guilt/to Victimage/hence: Cult of
the Kill) operates as “law” because there is no escape from it. It arises as a
consequence of the invention of the “negative” in language which serves
inexorably to identify the “elements to be sacrificed.” So in remarking on a
difference between “factional” and “universal” tragedy, for example, Burke is
not suggesting an escape from the mechanism of scapegoating but rather a
transfer of it from victimage (other inflicted) to mortification (self-inflicted) and
from real scapegoating (political, social, military) to symbolic scapegoating
(literature, theater, film). This, it seems, is the best we humans can hope
for in maintaining “order” while attempting to reduce carnage.

However, as I argue in the same paper, there appears to be a tension in Burke
between an essentializing strategy of interpretation in Burke (as per
Lentricchia and Murray, “seeing the complex in terms of the simple”) and a “
proportionalizing” strategy (also, the “interpretative attitude” where certain
complexities cannot be reduced). Said differently, this is a tension between “
dialectic transcendence” (where divisions are dissolved through a more “universal
identification of pollution,” such as “pride”) and “humble irony” (“seeing
two sides at once”). But this tension between “essentializing” and “
proportionalizing” only appears as a difference because the strategy of universal
identification of pollution is precisely what, in Burke’s operations, allows for “
seeing two sides at once.” The pollution is identified “within” the main
character(s) (the self as “everyman”) and symbolically extirpated or “scapegoated.
”

In the section of your paper on Burke’s Method of Dialectic I agree that the
method brings us to seeing that what was once “apart from” is now “a part of.”
 But here the “being a part of” means that “we” are consubstantial in some
humanly shared “guilt.” And here mistakenness (in whatever form) translates
for Burke as a kind of universal or original “sin” or “guilt.” For Burke, it
would seem we are “fools” because of our essentially flawed nature rather
than essentially okay and “made to look foolish” because life’s circumstances
leave us sufficiently blind that we often cannot avoid choosing wrongly. Either
way, “scenic” elements creep into the “action/motion” distinction, but, in
the former, we are inherently “guilty” and in the latter we are inherently “
innocent” (or as Nietzsche says, caught in the “innocence of becoming.”)

So, from my point of view, Burke’s comic frame repeats on another level the
scapegoat mechanism or the Iron Law of History. I see him as advocating what I
call (and I think he would have agreed) “universal comedy” as the preferred
drama in his dramatism. And this “universal comedy” is a comedic (less tragic)
form of psycho-melodrama (there’s still a “goat”; it’s just moved “inside”
each of us). Melodramatic comedy features a “fool” (other or self; factional
or universal). Melodramatic tragedy features a “monster” (other or self;
factional or universal). Thus, both Burke’s “factional” and “universal” forms
of drama are still broadly “melodramatic” in structure.

I would agree in one sense when you say that the more proper tension in Burke
for critics to note is that between comedy and melodrama (not comedy and
tragedy). For as Burke understood, comedy and tragedy can be close cousins in
terms of structure. The “lesson of humility” contained in tragic drama completes
the comic circle “that every insight contains its own special kind of blindness
” (ATH, p. 41). But, on the whole, I think the tension is more adequately
drawn between factional/universal structures conforming to the Iron Law of
History and the synagonistic structures I think offer an alternative way of
structuring conflict.

But, moving back to your paper, these differences I’ve just noted turn around
the question: Who is Burke and what is he saying? The answers to which are
largely “academic” in the sense that they are of interest to those in the field
who care about who is saying what.

More fundamentally I see your paper focusing on the broader question: How to
appreciate the complexity of life and conflict while also remaining capable of
responding with potent critique and calls for “appropriate” action and
decision. This may boil down to a tension between Burke’s act and scene ratio. If
we act out of some measure of blindness, how “responsible” are we? Even when
some group “knows” what it’s doing, (as, for example, the “U-North” corporate
executives in the film Michael Clayton) and they act in full understanding of
the ethical dimensions of their actions, it can be argued that the ethical
shortcomings of its actions are a result of the combined flaws of each person in
the group A) flawed DNA, B) poor parenting, C) inadequate education, D)
waywardness in the given culture, etc. If we open the door to the slippery slope of
“scenic” influences, where do we draw the line in understanding culpability
or accountability?

As you argue, it comes down to a process of judgment, of going through the
steps of melodrama to high comedy (this would be the same as high tragedy for
me), to ideology critique. Or, as you say, from righteous indignation, to
comedic self-examination, to warrantable outrage. But everything here depends on
that process of “self-examination” as you note regarding “Camp Two” at the end
of your paper.

Here I’m reminded of the criticism of Davy Crocket and the “go ahead” boys
and the era of “manifest destiny.” Davy used to say: “make sure you’re right,
then go ahead.” Trouble was, what counted as “self-examination” then doesn’
t count for much these days. Today we require a “deeper” degree of
reflection. But how deep? Thus, once again, your question at the end of the paper: after
humble irony, then what? Perhaps another way of asking this is: How much
humble irony before we “allow” ourselves to break into “warrantable action”?

I have an appendix to a book I’ve done that I’ve attached. It deals with the
issue you raise of “how to deconstruct without at the same time
self-destructing?” No way around the need for judgment here as opposed to some form of
self-evident calculation or formula application. As a launching theme it uses the
Paul de Man controversy and Derrida’s response.

As for your example of “warrantable outrage” in the Roth excerpt: What do I
think of that? How does it fit into the “synagonistic” slant that I
recommend? Well, as I index above, this type of satire falls into the category of
factional comedy. It has a definite target and it does nothing in terms of balance.
It does not attempt to suggest how these “friends of Nixon” (or for that
matter Nixon himself) may be seen as in any way “mistaken” in a sense that would
evoke any tragic sympathy. None of these men are simple fools (although
Quayle and Ford certainly “stress” that assumption). They believed in what they
were doing (they had an ideology). And adequate “ideology critique” would
require something more than satiric depiction or caricatures of who they are (and
were).

In other words, a synagonistic treatment would need to be more balanced.
However, it would not preclude laying out a thorough “debunking” of ideological
shortcomings and showing how these shortcomings, when compared to shortcomings
of opponent ideological stances, are, on the balance, “shorter” shortcomings.

In other words, your example (at least in its excerpt form) certainly arouses
a measure of outrage, but in the absence of “perspective” gained by
comparison or contrast with opposing “ideologies,” it should not serve to arouse “
warrantable outrage” and warrantable means of collective censure. We need to see
at least two sides of the argument, both presented in the fairest light,
alongside the most penetrating critical exposure, in order to arrive at “
warrantable outrage.” This can be done narratively or discursively.

Now you may respond that by the time this is done, “warrantable outrage” may
have been reduced to “complete inertia.” I would not agree. The model I’m
proposing here is not much different than our judicial system and its assumption
of “innocent until proven guilty” (although our judicial system arguably
does have a measure of inertia in it—but that may work in our favor in many
cases). We need to see the strong evidence on both sides (May this be one reason
why Aeschylus takes the Oresteia to the conclusion of a jury trial?). Then, and
only then, can a genuinely “warrantable” judgment be made. And even then,
there is no guarantee we will not act blindly.

Nevertheless, on the whole, I agree with the tone and direction you are
heading in the paper. You frame the problem well, but do not quite find the
resolution (or accommodation) I would favor. But then my friends have judged me to be
a certifiably warrantable outrage, so please approach what I say with all due
caution and a gain of salt.

All for now,

Greg