[KB] Desilet, Moby Dick, and Melodrama

Edappel8@cs.com Edappel8 at cs.com
Mon May 12 18:41:54 EDT 2008

>From Greg Desilet, 5/12/08:

Hi Ed,

Good points and good questions!

Ed: First, a point on interpretation of Burke where he talks about the
difference between "factional" and "universal" tragedy (ATH, pp. 188-90 n): I get
the feeling you see Burke's distinction as one between what I, after Burke, am
calling "tragedy," and what you, Aristotle, and Nietzsche call "tragedy." I
don't think that's an accurate reading (if I am "reading" you correctly).

Yes, I agree this wouldn’t be an accurate reading of Burke. As for reading me
on my use of “factional” and “universal” you’re correct to point out the
possible confusion.

Ed: In using the term "universal," Burke is still, I offer, operating within
the Christian soteriological frame, as you call it. At the outset, Burke says,
"In universal tragedy, the stylistically dignified scapegoat represents
everyman [sic]. In his offence, he takes upon himself the guilt of all---and HIS
punishment is MANKIND'S [sic] chastening." The scapegoat mechanism is front and
center in this subgenre of Burkean tragedy, as it is also in the factional.

When I said in my last post I “took a cue from Burke” on the use of these
two terms I slid over the possible confusion too quickly. My use of the term
takes its cue from Burke by indicating a more non-partisan orientation to
conflict but differs from Burke in that, as you say, the scapegoat mechanism is no
longer “front and center.” The term “non-partisan” as Burke uses it won’t work
here either in that, as I argue in “Nietzsche Contra Burke,” the quality of
conflict referred to when he uses “non-partisan” remains the same only the “
scapegoat” moves from an external target (another person or group) to an
internal target (a “guilty” aspect of the self, e.g., pride). So while the conflict
is non-partisan between actors (as seen from the dramatic irony point of
view) it remains partisan with respect to an unacceptable or guilty part of the
self. To avoid this confusion in my last post I should have used another term,
but nothing very good came to mind at that moment (I’m still working on finding
one—“synagonistic” is quite a mouthful, but it may work better than “
universal” by avoiding the confusion with Burke’s use).

Ed: The questions for me are---and I think these are Burke's questions---what
does our terminology prepare us for (P&C, and LASA, "What Are the Signs of
What?), and how do we best divide up the field, serviceably, in terms of
"friendly" and "unfriendly" forces and inclinations that confront us\ (ATH)? Now, I
don't doubt that your terminology has its connotative virtues, as you have
argued. I just think that mine---Burke's and that of most of Burke's
interpreters---has more useful connotative and taxonomic value. And I don't think I need to
go over that territory again.

Yes, you may be right here regarding the connotative and taxonomic value of
your terminology. I guess the issue boils down to which or what definition of “
tragedy” ought to prevail in, say, academic circles (for the sake of reducing
confusion and sharpening orientations). Certainly the word “tragedy” does
not, for most people, automatically evoke something like a “positive”
orientation to conflict or life (as indicated in Nietzsche’s interpretation).

I could argue that since the Greeks offered the earliest tragic dramatic
forms and gave us the word “tragedy,” their use of the term and orientation to
tragic drama should be given priority. The problem here, however, is: What did
the Greeks mean by tragedy? What was tragic drama to them? Aeschylus,
Sophocles, Euripides, Plato, Aristotle all offer us differing perspectives. Then there
are commentators who offer us a take on the Greek take, such as Nietzsche,
Burke, Kitto, and many others. Most commentators agree that Greek tragic drama,
through dramatic “irony,” promotes a multi-perspectival view of conflict and
the characters caught up in it. However, it can be hard to argue with Burke’s
emphasis on “guilt,” “pollution,” and “scapegoating,” (whether the “goat”
is some other or an aspect of the self) especially when recalling that the word
“tragedy” means “song of the goat.”

Nevertheless, the Greek understanding of “goat” should not be equated with
the Judeo-Christian notion and the term “scapegoat” (the “goat that escapes”
or is sent out into the wilderness to die loaded with the sins of the
community). And Nietzsche argues that a crucial difference exists between the
sacrifice of Dionysus “the goat god” and Christ as the “scapegoat” for the sins of
mankind. Back and forth and around it goes. And, as you have already noted in a
put into serious question any round consensus on the “nature of tragedy.”

So the discussion of how the term “tragedy” should be used does in fact
become a bit academic, although not for that reason trivial. It is a point of
scholarship, hermeneutics, history, context, and other factors. Pay your money,
take your choice, and make your case.

Nevertheless, I do believe that the distinctions between the two different
views of tragic drama you and I have presented and the implications of those
views for understanding different ways of organizing, structuring, and responding
to conflict (including especially rhetorical responses) are significant
distinctions in themselves, apart from the issue of how to define “tragedy.”

In my book “Our Faith in Evil” I have argued for the merits of dramatic
conflict structured along the lines of the “tragic vision” (as I define it) and
for the drawbacks of dramatic conflict in classic melodramatic form. And, by
extension, I’ve argued for the merits of structuring rhetorical responses to
conflict similarly for reasons in keeping with Burke’s views about the ways in
which naming shapes attitudes and attitudes shape actions. Here, for example,
too much faith in the notion of “evil” (in its doctrinal and melodramatic
application) can put us on the road to hell in human relations and keep us within
cycles of the Iron Law of History and the scapegoating practices Burke has
insightfully detailed.

My complaint with Burke involves a metaphysical shift from the way in which
he fundamentally conceives of conflict, oppositional tensions, and the
implications of “order”—a shift from what I call a metaphysics of “monistic
antagonism” to “holistic synagonism.” But postings such as this are not the place for
making the full case for such an interpretation of Burke or for the merits of
the alternative I propose. Here I can only be suggestive and outline the
basic contours of the positions.

Ed: I think your proposed classification scheme has much to recommend it. I
will reflect on it further. I will interprete "universal" the way you wish it
to be read.

Thanks Ed. I appreciate your openness for reflecting on all angles of these
issues. I think you really engage Burke’s “Iron Law of History” and give it
the kind of importance and attention that he gave it and that it truly deserves.
I’m sure you also understand from our exchanges that, while offering
something of a “critique” of certain aspects of Burke, I retain high regard for him
and his views and by no means assume I’ve “gotten it right” in my thinking
about him or conflict. So I try to approach these issues with the same spirit of
openness.

Ed: I might question at the outset your notion of "factional comedy
(satire)," assuming you mean Burkean comedy. I question that satire is closer to
Burkean comedy than it is to burlesque. I question, also, that Burkean comedy is
"factional." Hugh Duncan makes a nice gloss on Burke and comedy by saying it may
involve "social distance" for a limited period of time, but not exclusion.

Yes, you are right to have some questions here. In my listing of “factional
comedy” with one possible example being the genre of satire, I did not mean to
suggest it as the sense in which Burke uses comedy (as when describing human
relations as best viewed from the “comic frame’). Here the problems with my
hasty choice of the term “universal” muddy the waters. Perhaps I can clarify
things (or perhaps even muddy them further!) by suggesting this taxonomy:

Factional/Universal/Synagonistic

Wherein:

Factional= featuring an antagonistic, exclusionary (my opponent is absolutely
or essentially “other” and thereby worthy of exclusion from the “ecology”
of world or being) relation to an external opponent or enemy

Universal= featuring an antagonistic, exclusionary relation only to an
internal opponent or enemy (aspect of self); thus in this respect “non-partisan” in
relation to other persons or groups

Synagonistic= featuring a non-exclusionary (my opponent is not absolutely or
essentially “other” and thereby still an essential part of the “ecology” of
world and being) but competitive/combative relation to an external or internal
opponent

These adjectives could then be applied to:

Tragedy

 Burlesque

 Melodrama

 Comedy

In this taxonomy the Burkean view as the “comic frame” would best correspond
to “universal comedy.” And Burke’s repair for the self-scapegoating or “
mortification” still implicit in this view is to recommend the use of symbolic
victims instead of real victims in the process of “cleansing,” i.e., the use of
literature and drama for self-cleansing rather than, say, forms of actual
self-mutilation or even martyrdom. Of course, Burke recommends the use of
symbolic victims as opposed to real victims in all cases where the scapegoating
impulse must be indulged to complete the “natural” (in his view) process of
cleansing.

All for now,

Greg