[KB] Desilet, Moby Dick, and Melodrama

Edappel8@cs.com Edappel8 at cs.com
Fri May 9 11:52:03 EDT 2008

An addendum to my previous post:

       In reference back to what I said about Burke's perhaps ideosyncratic
use of terms, not unremarked by his readers and critics, the way out of this
impasse may be simply to follow the example Brummett sets in the title of his
DeLorean article: "Burkean Comedy and Tragedy, Illustrated in the Arrest of John
DeLorean" (CSSJ, 1984).  It's BURKE'S constructions of comedy and tragedy
we're applying here, nobody else's.  You want to use these terms differently?  Go
ahead.  We're following Burke, and our take on what he has said on these
matters is pretty much unassailable.

       There's more to be said in defense of Burke's views, in my judgment.
This, however, can be our default position.