[KB] Need help with a Burke reference

Stan Lindsay slindsa at yahoo.com
Wed May 7 14:08:41 EDT 2008

James,

There is this "dinosaur" reference on page 61 of
Rhetoric Old and New:

Here we would consider the problems of news: the
necessary inadequacy of the re¬port, even in the case
of the best reporting; the bungling nature of the
medium; the great bureaucratic dinosaurs of
news-collecting; the added risks that arise from the
dramatic aspects of news. (And to get a glimpse of
what sinister practices we do accept as the norm,
where inter-national relations are concerned, imagine
a prize fight reported in the style regularly used for
news of inter-national disputes: one fighter's blows
would be reported as threats and provocations, while
the other's were men¬tioned in the tonalities proper
to long-suffering and calm retaliation regrettably
made necessary by the outlandish aggressiveness of the
opponent.)

Stan Lindsay