[KB] Let's not make things too (bleeping) quiet...

wrigh2kr@jmu.edu wrigh2kr at jmu.edu
Fri May 2 09:06:24 EDT 2008

Okay, David, let me start with these questions: Does your term "Re-masculinizing" imply that academic identity at some point became less masculinized rather than de-masculinized (to say feminized would be, I think, to suggest a much greater move away from masculine academic identity than has actually occurred)? And, are you considering all of academia?  If yes, then hasn't academic identity pretty much remained masculine, with changes being made via policy and law aimed at equalizing the gender percentages in academia rather than through changes in academic identity.  My own observations, limited to only a couple of universities, tell me that it is still much easier to work as an academic and have children, especially young children, as a man than as a woman.

Kenneth