[KB] KBJ: Clarke and Mark's Essay, etc.

Edappel8@cs.com Edappel8 at cs.com
Wed Jun 18 21:09:34 EDT 2008

       On Clarke and Mark's excellent essay, "The Future of Burke Studies,"
in the current KBJournal, I just wanted to say:

       I'm astounded by the number of hits on the journal, internationally,
only in the past year: more than 500,000.  Readers in many, many nations have
accessed our journal.

       I still say to those who have questioned Burke's relevance to Eastern
cultures and religions, which this summary essay touches on: Are we not
possibly dealing with a greater comedic tendency in the East, as Burke would define
comedy, than with the absence of drama and its guilt-redemption cycle of terms
and moments?  I think that question requires a closer look than Burke's
critics of this variety have given it.

       One more thing: Camille's innovative article on "Romance" as a
significant genre of rhetoric absent in Burke's scheme of things, should engage us
here on the kb listserv sometime in the future.

       Have a good day, whatever your nation, culture, or religion may be.