[KB] [Fwd: An Open Letter to Steve Capus from David Brock]

davidthomas1572@comcast.net davidthomas1572 at comcast.net
Thu Jan 17 18:47:08 EST 2008

The pattern of gender putdowns, insults, and vulgarity from Chris Matthews' Hardball programs towards Hillary Clinton is so blatant, long term, and well documented, he ought to be fired. He is the functional equivalent of Don Imus, only he's on network TV and not on right wing talk radio shows.

But he probably won't be fired because he gets high ratings.

I think what ought to happen is that rhetoric classes ought to put a spotlight on it as a teaching moment. We should be teaching this stuff, on a nonpartisan basis, throughout the campaign. We could be using the Media Matters documentation, using the Jamieson clips from Bill Moyers, and generating classroom discussion over sexist language. Assign papers. Have classroom and campus debates on it.

The Chris Matthews record is a clear example of what can and does get people fired in academia for a lot less. The usual fallback point for the gender language bullies is to disclaim the harm, to say it's all in fun, it's just joking around. But it isn't funny. Obviously it pollutes the political environment. If language is symbolic action, it's the verbal equivalent of the Taliban. It could be the ultimate political assassination of the hopes of Hillary or any other female candidate.

That's my opinion. As the Dennis Miller rant goes, I could be wrong. But I don't think so..

Peace,

David Thomas

From: Edappel8 at cs.com