[KB] Towards a more "accessible" Burke

Stan Lindsay slindsa at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 20 13:03:08 EDT 2007

One comment Pete Smudde made with regard to the
Holbrook article caught my attention:

--- "Smudde, Peter M" <smuddep at uww.edu> wrote:

 I see a cloaked
> argument about the market for Burkean books. He
> feels that KB's writing is so inaccessible (and I,
> too, agree about this point) that his work and, by
> extension, those about his work won't succeed (much)
> in the market.
>
> Pete

> Peter M. Smudde, Ph.D., APR

My students and I are trying to rectify that specific
problem.  As most of you know, I have already
published  A Concise Kenneth Burke Concordance (Say
Press, 2004:  http://www.saypress.com).  We are now in
the final phases of digitally and manually analyzing
Burke's works and compiling a much, much larger (at
least 4 times as many references) The Kenneth Burke
Concordance:  Expanded.  When it comes out, those
individuals who have purchased the Concise concordance
will be able to "trade up" to the Expanded edition.

Stan A. Lindsay, Ph.D.
Florida State University
Department of Communication

Stan A. Lindsay, Ph.D.