[KB] Burke on invective and catharsis

Jim Moore jimmijcat at hotmail.com
Tue Feb 6 21:44:55 EST 2007

Rick:  The passage Ed is referring to begins on page 97, though you have
said
the passage you are thinking of isn't in the Shakespeare essays.  Another
keyword
here is substitution in the sense that invective is a kind of substitute for
literal
sacrifice.  In a similar vein, Burke writes about the symbolic slaying of
one's non-uniformed
identities through the donning of a uniform.  Jim