[KB] Question about Resistance to Burke

Edappel8@cs.com Edappel8 at cs.com
Thu Dec 6 11:31:18 EST 2007

       When I described Jim Chesebro as my "mentor" in Burke at Temple
University, I meant "main mentor," the professor from whom I took or audited three
courses with "Burke" in the title.  I learned Burkology from Herb Simons
(persuasion theory) and Dennis Smith (interpersonal communication and something that
had "change" in the course title), also.  Herb, to be sure, is one of our
leading lights in Burke studies, and yet transcends what some might call our
abridged sense of the communication field.  Whatever happened to Dennis Smith, I
do not know.  He disappeared into the maelstrom of San Francisco in 1980, and I
never heard anything about him again.  The last time I looked for later
editions of Smith's textbook, I couldn't find a recent date affixed to it.

       Anybody know anything about Dennis Smith, where he is, was, or went?