[KB] The Pope's Speech

Stan Lindsay slindsa at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 18 23:58:10 EDT 2006

Ed,

I did as you suggested.  I read the Pope's speech in
its entirety.  The primary thesis of the speech, as I
understood it, was that religion is not inconsistent
with reason.  The Pope briefly outlines the history of
Christianity as it was influenced by Greek concepts of
reason, one of his two definitions of logos.  As an
introduction to his dialectic, he cites the
"offensive" material--a dialogue in which a Muslim
from the Middle Ages appears to argue that God is not
restricted by rationality.  It is that specific view
that the Pope challenges.  His speech does not appear
designed to argue that Islam as a whole is evil.

Nevertheless, the assessment of Islam contained in his
quote is indeed antagonistic toward the popular
Islamic view of Jihad.  Having just published a book
of Burkean analysis that examines the rhetoric of bin
laden and his sources in the Koran, I am very much
aware of much more incindiary rhetoric directed
against Christianity and Judaism by modern Islamic
spokesmen than that relatively minor reference by the
Pope.  Extreme anti-Christian and anti-Semitic
rhetoric is constant fare in the Middle East.  Let's
try to keep things in perspective.  How does one go
about confronting the psychotic entelechy that is
driving the current terrorist version of Islam without
citing some textual evidence?  The issue must be
raised, so that it can be dealt with more
dialectically, and less militarily.  To his credit,
the Pope did employ some Burkean "distance" in
addressing the issue.  Instead of citing contemporary
Muslims, he at least cited one from the Middle Ages.

It appears to me that the extreme response of the
Moslem world has been irrational, the very criticism
the cited material was lodging.  On the other hand,
the Pope is the most visible representative of
Christianity in the world.  He would have been better
advised to have edited his citation more than he did.

Stan A. Lindsay, Ph.D.
Dept. of Communication
Florida State University
http://www.stanlindsay.com