[KB] Pope / Burke

wessr@onid.orst.edu wessr at onid.orst.edu
Wed Oct 11 16:07:48 EDT 2006

A belated comment on the Pope's speech.  It took me awhile to get around to
reading it, partly because I never imagined I'd post anything on it.  But when
I read it, I noticed a connection to Burke that is interesting.  Burke and the
Pope even both cite Duns Scotus to make a similar point.

The relevant Burke passage appears on p. 71 in the Grammar, where Burke
contrasts the idea that "God willed the good because it is good" (scene:act) to
the idea that "the good is good because God willed it" (agent:act).  Burke notes
that Duns Scotus and his followers objected to the scene:act
formulation because it "imposed limits upon the freedom of the divine will."

I believe that this opposition between scene:act and agent:act informs the
Pope's speech.  The Pope is on the side of scene:act, which he views as a
blending, in the early Church, of Christian faith and Greek commitment to
reason.

Opposition to scene:act in the name of agent:act arises not only from Islamic
thinkers but from Christian thinkers as well.  As the Pope put it, "there arose
with Duns Scotus a voluntarism which ultimately led to the claim that we can
only know God's `voluntas ordinata.'  Beyond this is the realm of God's
freedom, in virtue of which he could have done the opposite of everything he
has actually done. . . . God's transcendence and otherness are so exalted that
our reason, our sense of the true and good, are no longer an authentic mirror
of God, whose deepest possibilities remain eternally unattainable and hidden
behind his actual decisions."

The Pope calls this voluntarism a "dehellenization" of the Christian faith in
the modern age, which he traces through three stages, beginning with the
Reformation.  That's really the meat of the speech.

Anyway, aside from the fireworks the speech set off, it makes interesting
reading from the standpoint of the pentad.  I'd also be interested in knowing
what anyone well versed in theology thinks about the Pope's three stages of
dehellenization.

Bob

Quoting Edappel8 at cs.com: