Richard Mitchell on agents and acts

Edappel8@cs.com Edappel8 at cs.com
Fri Sep 23 15:14:22 EST 2005

--part1_196.47f88668.3065bc1e_boundary

First, I'd never want to contradict anything Ed Appel has said.

Second, isn't there an agent in each of these passive-voice sentences, two of
them human agents?---

The ball was hit by John.

John was struck by Sam.

The sun was covered by the cloud.

The adverbial phrase doesn't need to be included to make these assertions
sentences, but such truncated, dramatically incomplete statements will cry out
for some kind of formal fulfillment, n'est pas?

Bob Ashley, where are you?

Finally, does anybody know on what day and at what time the Burke Society
business meeting will be held at NCA in Boston?

Ed

--part1_196.47f88668.3065bc1e_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=3Darial,helvetica><HTML><FONT  SIZE=3D3 PTSIZE=3D12 FAMILY=
=3D"SANSSERIF" FACE=3D"Arial" LANG=3D"0">First, I'd never want to contradict=
 anything Ed Appel has said.<BR>
<BR>
Second, isn't there an agent in each of these passive-voice sentences, two o=
f them human agents?---<BR>
<BR>
The ball was hit by John.<BR>
<BR>
John was struck by Sam.<BR>
<BR>
The sun was covered by the cloud.<BR>
<BR>
The adverbial phrase doesn't need to be included to make these assertions se=
ntences, but such truncated, dramatically incomplete statements will cry out=
 for some kind of formal fulfillment, n'est pas?<BR>
<BR>
Bob Ashley, where are you?<BR>
<BR>
Finally, does anybody know on what day and at what time the Burke Society bu=
siness meeting will be held at NCA in Boston?<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
Ed</FONT></HTML>

--part1_196.47f88668.3065bc1e_boundary--