Sheer Brute Materials

Edappel8@cs.com Edappel8 at cs.com
Wed Sep 21 12:44:58 EST 2005

--part1_64.5db20651.3062f61a_boundary

Carroll wrote:

"'Mother Nature' puts on the show. How the show gets reviewed is as
subject to spin as any other event."

True.  J. Tirrell, however, notes with considerable credibility the very
selective theological spin the Bush Administration puts on the crises it
facilitates and those that inconveniently "just happen."  The symbolizing animal
"interprets" all phenomena in one way or another, "spins" them relatively
serviceably or exceedingly unserviceably.  Burke's point is that our spin can change the
sheer brute materials of the world as it is in their structure and function
not a wit---unless our symbolizations first change us.  Maybe then we've got a
chance.  Maybe.

Ed

--part1_64.5db20651.3062f61a_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=3Darial,helvetica><HTML><FONT  SIZE=3D3 PTSIZE=3D12 FAMILY=
=3D"SANSSERIF" FACE=3D"Arial" LANG=3D"0">Carroll wrote:<BR>
<BR>
</FONT><FONT  COLOR=3D"#000000" BACK=3D"#ffffff" style=3D"BACKGROUND-COLOR:=20=
#ffffff" SIZE=3D2 PTSIZE=3D10 FAMILY=3D"SANSSERIF" FACE=3D"Arial" LANG=3D"0"=
>"'Mother Nature' puts on the show. How the show gets reviewed is as<BR>
subject to spin as any other event."<BR>
<BR>
True.&nbsp; J. Tirrell, however, notes with considerable credibility the ver=
y selective theological spin the Bush Administration puts on the crises it f=
acilitates and those that inconveniently "just happen."&nbsp; The symbolizin=
g animal "interprets" all phenomena in one way or another, "spins" them rela=
tively serviceably or exceedingly unserviceably.&nbsp; Burke's point is that=
 our spin can change the sheer brute materials of the world as it is in thei=
r structure and function not a wit---unless our symbolizations first change=20=
us.&nbsp; Maybe then we've got a chance.&nbsp; Maybe.<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
Ed <BR>