query re: KB's preference for threesomes

Isabel Pedersen ipederse at watarts.uwaterloo.ca
Thu Mar 31 16:40:47 EST 2005

I agree that for Burke it is a "threesome".

Is the word "transcend"? Burke writes early in Part II of The Rhetoric:

The notion of rhetoric as a means of "proving opposites" again brings us
to the relation between rhetoric and dialectic. Perhaps as a first rough
approximate, we might think of the matter thus: Bring several rhetoricians
together, let their speeches contribute to the maturing of one another by
the give and take of question and answer, and you have the dialectic of a
Platonic dialogue. But ideally the dialogue seeks to attain a higher order
of truth, as the speakers, in competing with one another cooperate towards
an end transcending their individual positions. Here is the paradigm of
the dialectical process for "reconciling opposites" in a "higher
synthesis." (53)

Of course, he repeats the sentiment over and over again (and the word
"transcend") in the terms for "Order" section in reference to the
positive, dialectical and ultimate orders of language. Ulimate terms, of
the third order, serve as the "re-orderer" of the dialectic, the second
order.

Isabel

Isabel Pedersen Ph.D.
Assistant Professor
Department of Business & Technical Communication
Ryerson University
350 Victoria St. Room BUS 711
Toronto, ON
Canada, M5B 2K3