Literature as Equipment for Living

James Comas ComasJ at missouri.edu
Sat Apr 2 12:10:33 EST 2005

CJ,

My experience has been that institutions are quite protective of their
P&T rules and regulations, even when there are obvious contradictions
between those rules and national standards, e.g., the enlightened MLA
guidelines published nearly ten years ago ("Making Faculty Work
Visible: Reinterpreting Professional Service, Teaching, and Research in
the Fields of Language and Literature: Report of the MLA Commission on
Professional Service," December 1996). Thus, even if one could document
a national trend toward the acceptance of online publications as part
of one's tenure case, it's unlikely this would be enough to override
P&T practices at one's particular institution. My advice, then, is to
talk with your department chair to find out how the department has
dealt with the question of online publication in previous tenure cases.

If your department has refused to recognize online publication in the
past, the key issue should be the review process; that is, one could
argue that it is unreasonable to disqualify an online publication if it
uses the same kind of review process of other standard journals in the
field. I also think this argument needs to succeed at the department
level; that is, because the department represents the scholarly
standards of its particular discipline, it's quite unlikely that the
Dean or higher administrators would reverse a negative recommendation
on the matter of online publication.

Best,

Jim
--