KB's source of truth

Steffasong@aol.com Steffasong at aol.com
Fri Apr 1 13:36:24 EST 2005

--part1_1ef.39089058.2f7eeea8_boundary

In a message dated 4/1/2005 12:06:08 PM Eastern Standard Time, coe at sfu.ca
writes:

> Hi Stephanie,
>
> How about starting the interchange by telling us your ideas of the
> heuristic value and crux of "Literature as Equipment for Living"?
>
> Cheers,
> Rick

Hi Rick,

The reason I asked about it without making an initial statement of my own is
because I have not read that article.  I am not a Burkean scholar, but I am
familiar with the concept, and actually first learned about literature as
equipment for living through Brummett's rhetoric of popular culture.  As my interest
and respect for Kenneth Burke grow, I am finding his work foundational to so
many others and highly interdisciplinary.

I guess I was hoping that many (or some) of you that have certainly read
Burke's landmark essay might be willing to sum it up or offer what you feel is the
strength of it.

I'm headed out for the weekend.
If anyone writes back, I'll return the post on Monday.
Thanks,
Stephanie

Stephanie Bennett
Coral Springs, FL

". . .those who have their old systems so much before their eyes that they
have already decided what should be approved or disapproved desire no discussion
which could stand in the way of their private views."  Immanuel Kant

--part1_1ef.39089058.2f7eeea8_boundary

=3D"SANSSERIF" FACE=3D"Arial" LANG=3D"0">In a message dated 4/1/2005 12:06:0=
8 PM Eastern Standard Time, coe at sfu.ca writes:<BR>
<BR>
: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px">Hi Stephanie,<BR>
<BR>
How about starting the interchange by telling us your ideas of the <BR>
heuristic value and crux of "Literature as Equipment for Living"?<BR>
<BR>
Cheers,<BR>
Rick</BLOCKQUOTE><BR>
<BR>
Hi Rick,<BR>
<BR>
The reason I asked about it without making an initial statement of my own is=
 because I have not read that article.&nbsp; I am not a Burkean scholar, but=
 I am familiar with the concept, and actually first learned about literature=
 as equipment for living through Brummett's rhetoric of popular culture.&nbs=
p; As my interest and respect for Kenneth Burke grow, I am finding his work=20=
foundational to so many others and highly interdisciplinary.<BR>
<BR>
I guess I was hoping that many (or some) of you that have certainly read Bur=
ke's landmark essay might be willing to sum it up or offer what you feel is=20=
the strength of it.<BR>
<BR>
I'm headed out for the weekend.<BR>
If anyone writes back, I'll return the post on Monday.<BR>
Thanks,<BR>
Stephanie <BR>
<BR>
</FONT><FONT  COLOR=3D"#000000" BACK=3D"#ffffff" style=3D"BACKGROUND-COLOR:=20=
#ffffff" SIZE=3D3 PTSIZE=3D12 FAMILY=3D"FIXED" FACE=3D"Lucida Console" LANG=
=3D"0">Stephanie Bennett</FONT><FONT  COLOR=3D"#000000" BACK=3D"#ffffff" sty=
le=3D"BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=3D2 PTSIZE=3D10 FAMILY=3D"SANSSERIF" F=
ACE=3D"Arial" LANG=3D"0"><BR>
</FONT><FONT  COLOR=3D"#000000" BACK=3D"#ffffff" style=3D"BACKGROUND-COLOR:=20=
#ffffff" SIZE=3D2 PTSIZE=3D10 FAMILY=3D"FIXED" FACE=3D"Lucida Console" LANG=
=3D"0">Coral Springs, FL</FONT><FONT  COLOR=3D"#000000" BACK=3D"#ffffff" sty=
le=3D"BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=3D2 PTSIZE=3D10 FAMILY=3D"SANSSERIF" F=
ACE=3D"Arial" LANG=3D"0"><BR>
<BR>
". . .those who have their old systems so much before their eyes that they h=
ave already decided what should be approved or disapproved desire no discuss=
ion which could stand in the way of their private views."&nbsp; Immanuel Kan=
t</FONT></HTML>

--part1_1ef.39089058.2f7eeea8_boundary--