moral clarity

Seth Kahn slkahneg at mailbox.syr.edu
Thu Jul 25 07:51:20 EST 2002

What David gets at here is what I see as the central conundrum of any
organizational scheme.  "Clarity" comes at the expense of flexibility
and, I would argue, of freedom.  As somebody who spent years working
as a grassroots environmental organizer, I fought this tension every
day.  Organizing work works best when an organization has a clear
agenda and purpose, but the clearer the agenda and purpose, the more
likely opponents are to accuse the organization of trying to control
behavior.  That's why we often see Republicans attacking
environmentalists on the grounds that environmentalists are just
trying to take control of everything.

--Seth

--
Seth Kahn
PhD, Composition and Cultural Rhetoric

New Contact Info as of August 2
Department of English
West Chester University
West Chester, PA 19383
(610) 436-2915 (office)
(610) 738-8738 (home)
"[E]lites are not going to stop at millions in Afghanistan, over a
million in Iraq, tens of thousands in Sudan--they are going to keep
on killing until we can prove them wrong, until we can raise the
political deterrent of a disobedient population."  Justin Podur, Z
Magazine, Dec. 8, 2001

"I got a feeling it's all rigged.  I got a feeling it ended a long
time ago, and nobody told me."  --Game Theory, "Throwing the Election"