Consistency and motives

Michael Calvin McGee michael at mcgees.net
Tue Aug 13 17:38:59 EST 2002

Are you sure, Clarke, that we're not simply confusing Act and Purpose here?
The comparison of Acts 1-n seeks "justification of purpose" within a
supervising "theory of motives."  The pentad is a theory of motives, while
the appelate law is a "criticisim of justification."  Burke is after what we
leave to jurors, the "philosophy" underlying judgments of criminal Acts..
By contrast, the comparison of Acts 1-n is a criticism of judges' discourse.
The pentad theorizes phenomena.  In other words, the pentad is an item of
phenomenology, the "philosophy" (or "rhetoric") of human motives. The Law as
it is read in Law Schools theorizes epiphenomena, judges' opinions.

michael