In DisHonor of W's Inauguration

William Kraemer tkotr98 at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 24 13:54:16 EST 2001

<DIV>
<P>&nbsp;I am pleased to know my *generalizations* glitter. I've always wanted to write something that glittered. </P></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<P>I am not a Burke scholar. I am a wannabe. Or at least I was.</P>
<P><FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff">But it is</FONT> very disturbing to me that Burke scholars uncritically accept news reports, expecially those (actually the majority of them) that put the Democrats in a good light and the GOP in a bad light.</P>
<P>Celebrity journalists like Damn Lather and Larry King, who are not qualified to report the political news and not qualified to interview politicians, routinely badger Conservatives and bally hoo the glittering generalizations of people like George Stay On Top of It.</P>
<P>A lot of their tripe has been reproduced on this listerv without being worked over first by Burkean rhetorical critique.</P>
<P>LIke I said, a long time ago, I shaved my scruffy beard, fumigated my clothes to look Clean for Gene. (I even ate the roaches rather than let them sit in the ash tray).</P>
<P>I watched the election returns come in on election eve. I even heard Damn Lather say, &quot;We don't mean to say there's something fishy going on here, folks.&quot;</P>
<P>But Gore was never ahead in Fla. The Election News Service mistakenly reported that Gore was ahead, then retracted.</P>
<P>As George Stay on Top of It said, to parapharase, &quot;THis could be like 1960. We may never know why this happened. Today's history, tomorrow's mystery.&quot;</P>
<P>Though&nbsp; a life long Democrat (I shouldn't even have to say this) I really wonder if the party many of us have fought so hard for now believes in one party rule.</P>
<P>It disturbs be also that a listserv of professional rhetoricians are so eager to have competitive conversations where the &quot;winner&quot; humiliates the &quot;loser&quot; than open discussion.</P>
<P>I suggest that the glare of the listserv's pantopican be turned on Democrats and GOPs alike.</P>
<P>&nbsp;</P>
<P>&nbsp;</P>
<P>&nbsp;</P>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;From: Edappel8 at cs.com
<DIV></DIV>&gt;To: kb at purdue.edu
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Subject: In Honor of W's Inauguration
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2001 11:21:36 EST
<DIV></DIV>&gt;MIME-Version: 1.0
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Received: from [128.210.11.6] by hotmail.com (3.2) with ESMTP id MHotMailBC3850CC00C34004319A80D20B06AE8A0; Wed Jan 24 08:41:50 2001
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Received: by scribe.cc.purdue.edu for kb-outgoing at scribe.cc.purdue.edu; Wed, 24 Jan 2001 11:36:43 -0500
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Received: from herald.cc.purdue.edu by scribe.cc.purdue.edu with ESMTP for kb at scribe.cc.purdue.edu; Wed, 24 Jan 2001 11:21:50 -0500
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Received: from imo-r12.mx.aol.com by herald.cc.purdue.edu with ESMTP for kb at purdue.edu; Wed, 24 Jan 2001 11:21:49 -0500
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Received: from Edappel8 at cs.comby imo-r12.mx.aol.com (mail_out_v29.5.) id o.5d.644a3fa (4256) for<KB at PURDUE.EDU> ; Wed, 24 Jan 2001 11:21:37 -0500 (EST)
<DIV></DIV>&gt;From owner-kb at purdue.edu Wed Jan 24 08:43:49 2001
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Return-Path:<OWNER-KB at PURDUE.EDU>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Message-Id: &lt;5d.644a3fa.27a05b10 at cs.com&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt;X-Mailer: CompuServe 2000 32-bit sub 113
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Sender: owner-kb at purdue.edu
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Precedence: bulk
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt;William wrote:
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Gore was never ahead in Florida. Therefore, it was he who tried to steal the
<DIV></DIV>&gt;election.
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Despite my political affiliation, I feel any book alleging the theft of the
<DIV></DIV>&gt;election and &quot;enormous ramifications&quot; is wrong spirited.
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Where is your evidence, William? What are your warrants in support of this
<DIV></DIV>&gt;&quot;glittering generality&quot;? You have posted a &quot;feeling,&quot; an opinion. Much
<DIV></DIV>&gt;evidence to the contrary has been posted on this list by Robert Wess, by C.
<DIV></DIV>&gt;J. Jenny and Herb Simons, by Clarke Rountree, by me, and I believe by others.
<DIV></DIV>&gt; You use strong language in castigation of Bugliosi's thesis, but without
<DIV></DIV>&gt;justification, and, I would guess, without having as yet read his lengthy
<DIV></DIV>&gt;essay. The Miami Herald, a newspaper pretty close to the scene, did a study
<DIV></DIV>&gt;shortly after the election. The paper reported that, had the will of the
<DIV></DIV>&gt;voters who actually got into the voting booths been recorded correctly, Gore
<DIV></DIV>&gt;would have won the state by more than 23,000 votes. (That came to me
<DIV></DIV>&gt;second-hand in a column by Richard Cohen in the Washington Post.)
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt;That tally does not take into consideration, of course, African-American
<DIV></DIV>&gt;voters who may have been scared away by police check-points in their
<DIV></DIV>&gt;neighborhood (on election day!). It does not take into account what a firm
<DIV></DIV>&gt;named Choice/Point did to the Black vote. The Republicans who run the state
<DIV></DIV>&gt;hired this company to purge the voting lists of persons who might have been
<DIV></DIV>&gt;ineligible in one way or another. Choice/Point later admitted their list of
<DIV></DIV>&gt;53,000 persons was filled only with possible, not with necessarily actual,
<DIV></DIV>&gt;ineligibles. The result: Many Blacks were turned away from the polls on
<DIV></DIV>&gt;specious grounds.
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt;If you haven't as yet read Wess's brilliant essays on kb, and that gem of a
<DIV></DIV>&gt;dialogue by the attorney Levine, I suggest that you do so. I urge you as
<DIV></DIV>&gt;well to read Bugliosi's treatise. It is chock full of evidence you will have
<DIV></DIV>&gt;a hard time refuting.
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt;