ItWorldCanada

jimmijcat@hotmail.com jimmijcat at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 14 00:36:57 EST 2001

    Brought to you by ITworldcanada.com.

    Jim Moore has sent you an article which may interest you, entitled
	      "FBI ordered to reveal PC snooping technique ".

    To view it, Click here:
          http://itworld.ca/rx.cfm?v=A,A,20012220005

     What would Burke have made of this modern surveillance technology?   I think this particular technology might require a splitting of the agent part of the pentad into two parts (as Burke did himself with agency splitting it into attitude and means).  A Keystroke Logger records what a person deletes and does not publish or send in any form.  Imagine reading Ed Appel's emails as they are composed, for example.  Hence, the distinction between an individual's fostered persona and what he/she chooses not to make public becomes observable in way that may be somewhat unprecedented.  Perhaps this would require an agent(public) and agent(private) distinction for a pentadic analysis of the data.  However, I don't think Burke would have involved himself in the collection of such data and, thankfully, nor would most of us on this list.  Most of us would be uncomfortable with this, I think.

    For many more IT related articles, please visit
          http://www.itworldcanada.com