A Religious Conservative Side of Burke

JessEcoh@cs.com JessEcoh at cs.com
Tue Dec 19 10:59:52 EST 2000

In a message dated 12/19/00 9:35:16 AM Central Standard Time,
lindsays at purdue.edu writes:

> Kenneth Burke did indeed have
>  a religious conservative side--if we define a religious
>  conservative as one who believes in the existence of
>  God, heaven, and hell, and who studies a text to
>  discover its original meaning.

wait a minute --

   now, burke certainly does have a "religious" side in the sense that his
"definition of man" specifies us as fallen (violent) creatures in need of a
redemption which we are perhaps incapable of reaching in and through
ourselves.  however -- what's this about the "original meaning" of a text?? i
don't see burke as being committed to "original meanings" (however that is
defined -- is the "original meaning" you are talking about the meaning it had
for the author? for the original audiences of the text?) -- wasn't someone
just talking here, from a burkean perspective, about the "multiple
enactments" that any text makes possible?
   or have i missed something big about burke? (or am i misunderstanding
you?) seriously, enlighten me.

    --jesse.