[Cytometry] SRL staffing problems - need community feedback

Derek Davies derek.davies at cancer.org.uk
Wed Feb 26 11:59:57 EST 2014

Gene makes a good point. A big part of it is to get Institutional buy-in
to the efficiencies that a core brings and part of that is acknowledgment
of what the principle remits of the core are. As well as operating cell
sorters there is the QC, cleaning, general maintenance, liaison with OEMs
etc. It seems that most established cores run with the approx 1 FTE per
sorter model. This can change if there are self service sorters involved
or if sorting is not offered every day. Analysers are slightly different
and several have made the points that it can depend heavily on the types
(ImageStream v Calibur for example) and the level of input that core staff
are expected to have. 1 FTE per 3/4 analysers would probably cover more
cases though.

As Peter Lopez said, surveys on this have been run before and do have a
value for those of us who run or work in SRLs and, although I don't like
to overburden everyone with surveys, these metrics may be used to inform
best practices. For those of you headed to CYTO in Fort Lauderdale, there
is a specific SRL track including tutorials, workshops and a parallel
session:

http://cytoconference.org/2014/New-Sessions/SRL-Education-Forum.aspx

Its not possible to cover all aspects of running an SRL at a single CYTO
Conference but we have a good mix for you this year!

Derek