[Cytometry] about CD14-negative mature monocytes

mario picozza mariopicozza at hotmail.com
Wed Feb 26 04:39:40 EST 2014

Ok, let me
clarify and, I hope, add matter of debate.

Nuno is right, his combination of Abs is sufficient to identify
monocyte subsets.

Also, I strongly suggest the reading of the consensus paper from the IUIS
committee (Ziegler-Heitbrock L., et al Nomenclature of monocytes and dendritic
cells in blood. Blood. 2010 Oct 21;116(16):e74-80) on the cytometric definition
of the subsets. The commitee states that non classical monocytes are CD14+
CD16++, where + and ++ denote a ten and a hundred fold expression above the
isotype respectively. Although this definition is not technically perfect, I
will discuss here what it roughly means, that there is a metric based on
isotype control (FMO looks the same) to assign monocytes to one or another
subset. For most individuals, and whatever clone you use, the degree of CD14 in
non classical monocytes partly overlap with that of negative cells. This is the
reason why one subset of myeloid dendritic cells (negative for lineage markers
including CD14-19-3 and 56) which expresses CD16  was early recognized
(Mac Donald, Blood, 2002) and why there is a debate about the nature (DC or
monocytes?) of so called slanDC.

I think the solution straightforward, and, instead of making use of isotype controls,
solves the non classical subset separating it from the background (as recommended by Hulspas
et al., cytometry part b, 2009). Indeed, CD11c is usually used  to look at
myeloid dendritic cells. If used in conjunction to HLA-DR it can pre-select
myeloid mononuclear cells from both neutrophils and CD16+ lymphocytes. After
HLA-DR, it is a 2nd dimension to define all monocytes and myeloid DC together.
Now, gated on DR+ CD11c+, lets the CD16 vs CD14 plot speaks itself.

As it can be intuited by the literature, there is a large amount of FCS data
bytes coarsely spread all over the world with a panel like "lineage (CD3 14 19
and 56), DR, CD11c and CD16", originally designed to select CD16 positive and
negative mDC (there are also a number of vendors selling so called lineage2).
As can be easily argued, this material can be re-analyzed by first gating on
CD11c+ DR+ mononuclear cells, than plotting in Lineage vs CD16 to visualize
mono-subsets along the CD14 vs CD16 rainbow (practically no lineage
positive cells other than monocytes express CD11c and DR together) and mDC (see
figure 1 A and B of my article, Picozza et al., Blood, 2013).

P.S. Instead of CD11c one can use CD86 (in resting ex vivo conditions)

Mario Picozza, Ph.D.

Laboratory of Applied Dermatology

Istituto Dermopatico dell'Immacolata, IDI I.R.C.C.S.

via dei Monti di Creta 104, 00167

Rome, Italy