[Cytometry] SRL staffing problems - need community feedback

Gene Pizzo genepizzo74 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 25 18:37:20 EST 2014

Vinko,

One of the important discriminators in all FACS facilities is quality
control. You might get an acknowledgement of the ideal #FTE's/instrument
based on the ideal case in which everyone is optimally funded. But suppose
you aren't, then #FTE's/instrument is irrelevant. And to put it mildly a
lot of us are experiencing irrelevancy in that regard right now.
I believe a better way of looking at it is resolving the level of quality
control that makes sense.
I'll use the Rockefeller Institute when I worked there very briefly with
Cris Bare as an example because its easy to be positive about that
experience. They had a remarkably high level of quality control. They had a
dedicated operator for all their sorters, users were not permitted at least
while I was there to operate the machines themselves. This in part dictated
the #FTE's/sorter ratio and it was justified by the high level of quality
control they were and did maintain in part as a consequence of that policy.
Their instruments always worked at peak performance.
At institutions where you have a much lower ratio you are likely to have a
much lower level of quality control but perhaps it can't be helped. The
level of funding may not accommodate a higher ratio of dedicated
operators/instruments and a policy of user operated sorters may prove to be
a necessity. You'll likely pay the price in instrument downtime. You could
end up opting for service contracts instead of FTE's in which case you
would have to weigh the price of both against quality control.

Gene Pizzo