[Cytometry] SRL staffing problems - need community feedback

Fisher, Nancy C nancy_fisher at med.unc.edu
Fri Feb 21 14:48:23 EST 2014

Hi Vinko,
I did an analysis in 2012 of  flow core instrumentation and staffing for the top 10 US universities, based on NIH funding. I collected my data from information posted on each facility's website. The FTE count included the Director/Core Manager

 These cores had an average of 5.3 sorters and 7.4 analyzers and  9 FTE.  The breakdown:   0.8 FTE  (+/- 0.3) per instrument (combined analyzers and sorters) or 2.0 FTE (+/- 0.9) per sorter.  No core had less than one FTE per sorter.  The numbers don't match up perfectly because some cores do not include staffing information on their websites.

The approach that Peter suggests, to query cores to self-report, would probably be more accurate and contain a greater sample size. However, these 10 cores are from our larger universities and it looks like your core has a similar level of instrumentation.

I hope that helps!!

Best regards,

Nancy C. Fisher
Director, UNC Flow Cytometry Core Facility
Flowcytometry.med.unc.edu