[Cytometry] SRL staffing problems - need community feedback

Lopez, Peter Peter.Lopez at med.nyu.edu
Fri Feb 21 10:21:36 EST 2014

Hi Vinko,

This question comes up a lot.

I sent out a survey to the Purdue list in June 2009 asking similar staffing questions and had over 50 respondents.

In these labs there was an average of 2.3 cell sorters, 4.3 analyzers, and  3FTEs. The FTE headcount for the survey included the lab director.

My interpretation was that an SRL needs at least one FTE per cell sorter. For my interpretation I did not heavily weigh the analyzer count because in my core all analyzers are run by non-SRL staff , although the SRL staff do perform  QC on all core analyzers and assist users having issues.

Now things have changed a lot and this survey should be repeated. There are SRLs that are now successfully operating self-service sorters, and in 2009 cores didn't have many  ImageStream and CyTOF systems .

I think it would be very helpful if ISAC (and maybe also ABRF)  could formally address this SRL staffing issue with some sort of guideline or best practice document.

--Peter

Peter Lopez
Research Assistant Professor of Pathology
Director, NYULMC Core Cytometry Facility, Office of Collaborative Science
212.263.0635 (office)
http://ocs.med.nyu.edu/cytometry-and-cell-sorting