[Cytometry] SRL staffing problems - need community feedback

Vinko Tosevski vinko.tosevski at gmail.com
Thu Feb 20 16:15:34 EST 2014

Dear all,

We're having issues convincing the decision-makers at the University that
we're understaffed so I wanted to collect some feedback from the community.

We're a young core facility (established in 2009) but really grew in size
and complexity recently. Right now we're operating or maintaining following
instruments:

5 Aria III
1 Copas
2 LSR Fortessa
2 Canto II

We have just received CyTOF 2 and in few weeks also ImageStreamX arrives.
We're a team of 4 people, but only 2 of us being full time, the other 2
members being employed only for 20%. I need to add that all these
instruments are scattered at 4 different locations across the city (each
satellite location having one sorter and one analyzer, the rest being at
our central site).

On top of all this, we're training users on how to operate instruments,
organizing courses for graduate school, giving regular methodology seminars
for students and postdocs and so on... Needles to say, sometimes there's no
time to check our e-mails during the day.

Am I really so much off when I say we're understaffed? We just managed to
get one 80% technician position that's gonna be dedicated to the one of the
satellite sites and were told not to expect any new people allocated in the
near future (?!?).

I would love to hear about your situation. How many staff members, how many
instruments, what kind of stuff you do? I would put together a small report
that would (hopefully) convince the University heads that we're not really
asking for impossible, when compared to other sites across the globe. Or,
maybe I'll learn that others are having even harder time and that my
expectations are unrealistic.

I am looking forward to your feedback. It's quite a unique request from my
side so feel free to simply reply privately.

Best,
Vinko

--
Vinko Tosevski