[Cytometry] Consistent difference between CST vs Manual laser delays

Toralf Kaiser kaiser at drfz.de
Thu Feb 20 03:44:07 EST 2014

I think temperature is a issue. We did some experiments on the ARIA I.
We placed several temperature sensors at different positions inside the
sorter (sheath fluid tank, plenum, waste drawner, sheath fluid tubing at
the flow cell). A temperature plot over 24h hours shows that the
temperature inside the sheath fluid tank changed about 2K (over the day)
whereas the temperature inside the sorter (plenum, flow cell, sheth
fluid) was changed about 4-6K (after 3 hours running time).
This results in a slightly different viscosity of the sheath fluid and
has a impact on the sheath fluid velocity and the laser delays.
Moreover, we find that by increasing sheath fluid temperature the sort
recovery rate decreases.

A quick solution at that time was to place the sheath fluid tubing
between two ice packs as close to the nozzle as possible to cool down
the sheath fluid at the point of use. A better solution is the
implementation of a heat exchanger. We made a simple device by using a
peltier element. On our website you can find some informations.
http://fccf.drfz.de/index.php?page=innovations

best regards
Toralf

Toralf Kaiser