[Cytometry] FACS DiVa 8 Bugs

Elliott, James james.elliott at csc.mrc.ac.uk
Thu Feb 20 04:29:42 EST 2014

Hi Gerald

That is a helpful post, thanks! However, we just had that sort error here (the first time I remember it happening) running Diva 6, so it is perhaps not unique to 7/8. It also happened with a sub 1% population and was 'cured' simply by opening a new Experiment. Don't know if this helps in the search for a fix but the low frequency of the population is a common factor between us.


From: cytometry-bounces at lists.purdue.edu [cytometry-bounces at lists.purdue.edu] on behalf of Schmauss,Gerald [gerald.schmauss at imp.ac.at]
Sent: 19 February 2014 16:31
To: cytometry at lists.purdue.edu
Subject: [Cytometry] FACS DiVa 8 Bugs

Dear Flowers,

we started upgrading our sorters and analysers to operate on FACS DiVa 8 mid December last year.
Since then we had encountered a few bugs, which were unknown to us up till FACS DiVa 7. We documented and relayed them to BD, but also decided to share what we have found on the list.
This is not only intended as a heads up and but also as a request to all other FACS DiVa 8 users to please help in describing the errors to BD. The more information we can give them, the sooner the bugs will get fixed. Which is in the interest of everyone involved.

The worst bug encountered is simply described as the machines not sorting the content of the sort-gate, but sorting something else.
We noticed the issue when telling the machine to sort for a small population representing less than 1 % of the total events. The machine sorted far more events (lots more than "yield" settings would generate) than it could have possibly found. A reanalysis of the collection tube content showed it to resemble the unsorted sample.
This happened on two of our sorters running FACS DiVa 8, in the hands of different operators, for different experiment types.
Nothing short of a restart of sorter and workstation could get rid of it.

Other bugs we encountered are:

The command prompt disappearing. Making direct entry of parameter values, naming tubes, setting labels, etc. impossible.

Existing experiments cause a database error and subsequent crash on attempting to open them.

Parts of a gating hierarchy disappearing.

The drop delay experiment showing an incorrect 0 % beads deflected/sorted for a few seconds even though it is visible on camera and in the square.

As mentioned before, all of these incidents were reported to BD.
Apart from the database error, we can't intentionally reproduce the bugs. This may make it difficult for BD to locate and fix them.
Any additional report by the community would be helpful.

Best regards,

Cytometry mailing list
Cytometry at lists.purdue.edu
Search the list archive at  http://tinyurl.com/cytometry

More information about the Cytometry mailing list