[Cytometry] FW: new s10 FAQ

Auger, Julie Julie.Auger at ucsf.edu
Wed Feb 19 15:43:23 EST 2014

Hi -
After many requests for clarification, the language on the ORIP website
has been changed to clarify if S10 purchased instruments can be used by
for-profit users. The answer is yes.
http://dpcpsi.nih.gov/orip/diic/shared_instru_faqs
The FAQ now reads:

Q. Can the instrument be used by a biomedical researcher employed by a
for-profit organization?
A: Yes. Note that for-profit organizations are eligible to apply for
research awards such as R01 or R21; hence, for example, a PI who is
employed by a for-profit organization and is a recipient of an R01 can be
a Major User of an S10 instrument. Also, a biomedical researcher employed
by a for-profit organization who does not have NIH funding, can have
access to an instrument funded by an S10 award. However, the priority is
given to NIH-funded researchers. According to the FOA, the eligibility
requirements to apply for a SIG award are: ³To demonstrate the clear need
for the requested instrumentation, the projects supported by NIH research
grants should together require at least 75 percent of the instrument time.
The Major User group should require at least 35 percent of the total usage
time.²
In addition, the FOA states: ³Access to the instrument may be made
available to other users upon the advice of the Advisory Committee. These
other users need not be NIH awardees, but priority should be given to
NIH-supported scientists engaged in biomedical/behavioral research.³

All the best,
Julie