[Cytometry] Replacement computer for FACScalibur?

Geza Paukovics paukovic at burnet.edu.au
Tue Feb 18 19:37:06 EST 2014

We here at AMREP flow concur with William. We are in the process of
upgrading our FACSCaliburs that used to run on the old (yes) 7300 and 7600
MAC platforms as well as a few G3s MACs. *We upgraded to G4s
733Mhz*platforms with larger hard drives (from memory 100MB to
300-400GB sourced
locally in Melbourne from a MAC refurbishing place, but there are lots
available online eg Ebay),  *Cell Quest Pro v5.1*, as William stated the
last MAC to be compatible with the older BDPAC cards is the G4 MAC, the
only addition we have from our end is that with the *CellQuest Pro v5.1,
the operating system is simply not OSX, but we found it had to be upgraqded
to either 10.2.6 or 10.2.8*. (free upgrades can be found online)
Hope that helps
Gez

On Wed, Feb 19, 2014 at 8:23 AM, FACShelp at ALT Service <
facshelp at altservice.com> wrote:

> Hello to All,
> I have all the interface criteria sorted out if anyone wants to know what
> BDPAC and software revs work with mac computers connected to BD FACS
> instruments.
> Most of the information given in this thread is accurate, but dated. For
> current, up to date info, feel free to contact me directly and I will
> provide the information you need for the interface you are using.
> The mass of variation makes it difficult to post all the information, but
> here are the basics;
> OS9.2.2 and FACStation 3.5.1 are the highest revs for OS9
> >Requires dongle model ERB=0683
> OSX 10.5 and FACstation 5.2.1 are the highest revs for OSX non-intel.
> >Requires dongle model ERB=1222
> OSX 10.5 and FACStation 6.0 are for Intel Mac's. This rev eliminates most
> older cytometers from the instrument configuration and uses a different
> dongle.
> Best regards,
> Tony Leger
> ALT Service
> > facshelp at altservice.com
>
> "Telford, William (NIH/NCI) [E]" <telfordw at mail.nih.gov> wrote:
> >Hi Colin...
> >
> >Joanne is right, the silver G4s (733-867 MHz) are the "newest" and most
> >stable workstations for running MacOS 9.2.1 and CellQuest 3.4. However,
> >the somewhat older grey Mac G4s and even the green Mac G3s will work OK
> >too.  The main issues are age and quality - the newer computers are
> >both younger and better built, so they will last the longest.  But if
> >you have one of these older computers at your institution, it should
> >work fine.  We had a FACSCalibur running on a Mac G3 400 MHz with 128K
> >memory for a long time, and ran decently (if a bit slow).
> >
> >The silver G4s are the last Macs to accept the older style BDPAC cards
> >- when BD went to MacOS 10 and the CellQuest/CellQuest Pro transition,
> >there were several adjustments to BDPAC card design to accommodate the
> >newer Mac peripheral slots.  So anything newer than a silver G4
> >probably won't accommodate your BDPAC card.
> >
> >Fortunately, there are a lot of these computers on the used market.
> >
> >Bill Telford
> >NCI-NIH

*Geza Paukovics*
AMREP Flow Cytometry Core Facility Manager
AMREP Senior Flow Cytometrist
Burnet: Corporate Support Services - Laboratory Services
VHPF Flow Cytometry Program Group
Sidney Myer Fund Flow Cytometry Unit
Monash: Monash Central School of Medicine (AMREP)

 [image: Burnet Institute]

85 Commercial Road, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia 3004
GPO Box 2284, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia 3001
*TEL* (03) 9282 2246 *LAB TEL* (03) 9903 0601
*EMAIL* paukovic at burnet.edu.au *WWW* http://www.burnet.edu.au

The Macfarlane Burnet Institute for Medical Research and Public Health Ltd
ABN 49 007 349 984