[Cytometry] Replacement computer for FACScalibur?

D. Robert Sutherland rob.sutherland at utoronto.ca
Tue Feb 18 22:58:02 EST 2014

Colin,
to be clear, as indicated in my earlier post, Mac OSX 10.5 can not be installed on a G4 (any model) AFAIK.
OSX 10.5 requires a G5. The very base model G5 can take the same I/O card that was used in all the models I indicated earlier, but BD never supplied these to folks requiring a new Mac for their Caliburs, Scans etc. They only supplied higher models in the G5 range that used a different voltage on the PCI interface. This thereby required a new PCI I/O card, a new license for CQPro, new dongle and cost a lot of $$$$.
Some of these issues have been aired out in the past on the email archive (https://lists.purdue.edu/pipermail/cytometry/2012-October/044266.html).
Grab the best second-hand G4 you can get your hands on, max out the RAM, install OSX Tiger (10.4.11) and beg borrow (or steal) a dongle for CQPro 5.2.1.
Don't waste your time on OS9.2.2, although if this is critically important to you for whatever reason, Tiger is the last version of OSX that will allow OS9 applications to run in emulation.
best,
rob

D. Robert Sutherland
TGH/UHN