[Cytometry] Replacement computer for FACScalibur?

FACShelp@ALT Service facshelp at altservice.com
Tue Feb 18 16:23:11 EST 2014

Hello to All,
I have all the interface criteria sorted out if anyone wants to know what BDPAC and software revs work with mac computers connected to BD FACS instruments.
Most of the information given in this thread is accurate, but dated. For current, up to date info, feel free to contact me directly and I will provide the information you need for the interface you are using.
The mass of variation makes it difficult to post all the information, but here are the basics;
OS9.2.2 and FACStation 3.5.1 are the highest revs for OS9
>Requires dongle model ERB=0683
OSX 10.5 and FACstation 5.2.1 are the highest revs for OSX non-intel.
>Requires dongle model ERB=1222
OSX 10.5 and FACStation 6.0 are for Intel Mac's. This rev eliminates most older cytometers from the instrument configuration and uses a different dongle.
Best regards,
Tony Leger
ALT Service

"Telford, William (NIH/NCI) [E]" <telfordw at mail.nih.gov> wrote:
>Hi Colin...
>
>Joanne is right, the silver G4s (733-867 MHz) are the "newest" and most
>stable workstations for running MacOS 9.2.1 and CellQuest 3.4. However,
>the somewhat older grey Mac G4s and even the green Mac G3s will work OK
>too.  The main issues are age and quality - the newer computers are
>both younger and better built, so they will last the longest.  But if
>you have one of these older computers at your institution, it should
>work fine.  We had a FACSCalibur running on a Mac G3 400 MHz with 128K
>memory for a long time, and ran decently (if a bit slow).
>
>The silver G4s are the last Macs to accept the older style BDPAC cards
>- when BD went to MacOS 10 and the CellQuest/CellQuest Pro transition,
>there were several adjustments to BDPAC card design to accommodate the
>newer Mac peripheral slots.  So anything newer than a silver G4
>probably won't accommodate your BDPAC card.
>
>Fortunately, there are a lot of these computers on the used market.
>
>Bill Telford
>NCI-NIH

Sent from my mobile office