[Cytometry] archiving data in a flow core?

Cris Bare flowmail at verizon.net
Tue Feb 18 18:12:34 EST 2014

Different facilities with different usage loads can have vastly different
methods. When I started at Gladstone, each user (and there weren't a huge
number) was responsible for self-archiving on MO disks (having replaced the
Bernoullis). Other institution that didn't have robust central data shares
meant I burned a lot of CDs for users.

At Rockefeller, Paul Nurse instituted a strong IT directive. Working
closely with IT we established a series of scripted transfer apps to users
lab/personal data shares. On a nightly basis data and other relevant files
(sort reports, PDFs of layouts) were transferred by network using high
level permissions and low level commands.

Then in a rather brutal fashion the scripts would delete files from the
local drive and execute disk maintenance. I say brutal because there was no
recovery from the Recycle bin when using a script.

We posted warnings and personally informed all users before implementing
this system. After a few weeks they got the idea and most of them kept
additional backups.

Institutionally, Rockefeller used Iron Mountain for data backup. This
created a safe and redundant system.

Cheers!

-cbb