[Cytometry] Replacement computer for FACScalibur?

Telford, William (NIH/NCI) [E] telfordw at mail.nih.gov
Tue Feb 18 15:46:03 EST 2014

Hi Colin...

Joanne is right, the silver G4s (733-867 MHz) are the "newest" and most stable workstations for running MacOS 9.2.1 and CellQuest 3.4. However, the somewhat older grey Mac G4s and even the green Mac G3s will work OK too.  The main issues are age and quality - the newer computers are both younger and better built, so they will last the longest.  But if you have one of these older computers at your institution, it should work fine.  We had a FACSCalibur running on a Mac G3 400 MHz with 128K memory for a long time, and ran decently (if a bit slow).

The silver G4s are the last Macs to accept the older style BDPAC cards - when BD went to MacOS 10 and the CellQuest/CellQuest Pro transition, there were several adjustments to BDPAC card design to accommodate the newer Mac peripheral slots.  So anything newer than a silver G4 probably won't accommodate your BDPAC card.

Fortunately, there are a lot of these computers on the used market.

Bill Telford
NCI-NIH