[Cytometry] Replacement computer for FACScalibur?

Joanne Lannigan jl7fj at virginia.edu
Tue Feb 18 14:31:34 EST 2014

Hi Colin:
If you can get your hands on the old PowerMac Silver G4s, you can run either OS9 or X on those. We have three Caliburs running on these running OSX. You will have to run CellquestPro however if you run OSX. Perhaps someone on the list has an old CellquestPro dongle they can send you. BD originally told us CellquestPro was not supported for the OSX unless you bought a special interface board, but we have been successfully running these without for more than 8 years. We were lucky enough at one point to retrieve 18 of these G4s from institutional surplus and have been working off of these as a supply for replacementcomputers and parts. We still have plenty of people who just want to do simple <4 color experiments and there is no need to tie up our higher end instrumentation with these users. They cost virtually nothing to maintain and IMHO still have the most robust fluidics systems out there!
Check ebay, you might find some there.
Joanne

Joanne Lannigan, MS
Director, Flow Cytometry Core