[Cytometry] Replacement computer for FACScalibur?

Martin, Colin H. chmartin at stthomas.edu
Tue Feb 11 16:49:21 EST 2014

Hi everyone,

I work at a university where our cytometer, a FACScalibur 4-color model, is used primarily by undergraduates in laboratory classes. After years of faithful service, the computer that runs our Calibur finally died. It had been running OS 9. The prices that we have found for buying a new computer to run the cytometer seem really high ($6,000-8,000) especially since the university has many old, perfectly functional computers capable of running OS 9 or OS X lying around.

Has anyone had experience with replacing a computer for an older model cytometer? Any good resources you can recommend, other than just shelling out the $$$?

Thanks!

Colin Martin

University of St. Thomas Biology