[Cytometry] archiving data in a flow core?

Rob Salomon r.salomon at garvan.org.au
Sun Feb 16 20:07:30 EST 2014

Hi Ruth

We have moved from users  being responsible for their own data to the core doing this for them. This is mostly because trying to manage space on the local drive was becoming difficult and users were having to delete experiments in order to be able to run new ones - we find that encouraging users to delete data leads to problems.

So to answer your questions
-How long are users allowed to leave data on the acquisition computer?
They are encouraged simply to export their data to a specific local hard drive location and we do the rest

-How are data files older than this time-period removed from the acquisition computer?
Automated by Beyond Sync based on time created - deleted files will be at least 2 weeks old

-Are old files stored as backups by the core? If so, for how long are the backups stored?
Yes as compressed files at this stage indefinitely

Using Beyond Sync (no affiliation) we having semi automated a lot of the process.

This Software is allows us to:
1.	Push exported FCS file on a local drive to a server location accessible to everyone (server 1).
2.	Backup exported FCS to an additional archival position on a different server with limited access (server 2)
3.	Cross check files on the local hard drive and server 1 before routinely deleting FCS files from the local drive.
4.	Cross check files on server 1 and server 2 before routinely deleted archived FCS files from server 1.
5.	Backup un-exported database files from the local drive to server 2 before deletion.

This covers almost every data situation except malicious deletion (however we hope no one would do that anyway).

If you want more info then we are happy to provide the scripts we used ( you'd just need to point them to different backup locations)

Cheers

Rob
Rob Salomon
Flow Cytometry Manager/ Senior Flow Cytometry Scientist
Garvan Institute of Medical Research
Sydney, Australia
_________________________
http://www.flow.garvan.org.au
Ph 9295 8432
r.salomon at garvan.org.au
_________________________

If you are in a flow cytometry core facility, I have a question: What are the policies held by your core regarding data storage & archiving? Specifically:

-How long are users allowed to leave data on the acquisition computer?
-How are data files older than this time-period removed from the acquisition computer?
-Are old files stored as backups by the core? If so, for how long are the backups stored?

We're getting to the point where it's taking a lot of time and money to archive data that very few people actually ever request, so your advice/experience would be helpful in deciding how to move forward. For reference, we have files collected using CXP, Diva, Spigot, and Summit -- and we will soon also be getting imaging flow cytometry files.

Thank you,

Ruth Nissly

research technologist
Microscopy & Cytometry Facility
The Huck Institutes of the Life Sciences Pennsylvania State University

W-124A Millennium Science Complex
University Park, PA 16802

1-814-863-2762
rah38 at psu.edu