[Cytometry] A novel flow cytometric bacterial infection marker

Jari Nuutila jarnuu at utu.fi
Mon Feb 17 04:11:09 EST 2014

Dear clinicians, infection researchers, and all those who are interested
in novel flow cytometric applications,

Once again I am informing you that our latest article entitled:
"Bacterial infection (BI)-INDEX: an improved and simplified rapid flow
cytometric bacterial infection marker" by Nuutila et al. has
beenpublished in the Diagnostic Microbiology and Infectious Disease
(Volume 78, Issue 2, February 2014, Pages 116--126).

In this article, we are presenting the novel flow cytometric
multiparametric marker of bacterial infection designated bacterial
infection INDEX (BI-INDEX), which displays 90% sensitivity and 96%
specificity in distinguishing between bacterial and viral infections
within 1 hour. We propose that our novel rapid BI-INDEX test will be
useful in assisting physicians to ascertain whether antibiotic treatment
is required, thus limiting unnecessary antimicrobial usage.

The article with full bibliographic details is available online at:

http://authors.elsevier.com/sd/article/S0732889313005531

Sincerely,

Jari Nuutila, PhD