[Cytometry] archiving data in a flow core?

Ian Dimmick ian.dimmick at newcastle.ac.uk
Sat Feb 15 14:13:19 EST 2014

Hello Ruth, The policies for archiving data are generated , in the main, by the grant funding bodies, and must be complied to .

We have to ensure that all of our data for certain grants is archived for at least 10 years, some grants for longer.

If however you are not in receipt of grant specific archive  instruction then we use the following procedure (for us this is suffice for all eventualities.

1-We use the FCS expert function within Diva to immediately export data once it has been generated onto University data storage , this , because of the architecture of Diva , is also stored on the local computer .

2-At the end of each month  all experiments and the database for the month are exported onto both the local D drive and onto an archival drive(backed up storage) specific for the instrument/moth/year , this is done for all of our 10 flow cytometrs

3-all data is deleted from the Diva database, a defragmentation step takes place , hence each month ,for each instrument we start with a clean database, but have the ability to recall any experiments at any time

Hope this heps

Ian