[Cytometry] archiving data in a flow core?

Mcfarlin, Brian Brian.Mcfarlin at unt.edu
Sat Feb 15 11:11:34 EST 2014

Ruth and Matthew,

Ruth I assume you may be referring to the EMD Millipore-Amnis imaging
cytometers. I can tell you that their computers come with small hard
drives (I think mine is 500 gb) for the explicit purpose of forcing you to
archive often. With that said I can fill that hard drive with data in a
4-6 weeks when we have an active project. I had to work with my IT folks
to get access to a large volume networked data storage (4 TB). For now
this is sufficient for all our archiving, but I am sure if we continue at
this pace it is going to not last long. The imaging instruments are really
amazing in terms of what data they generate, but all of those images also
generate massive amounts of data. For example we have one experiment where
we are looking at rare cell populations upon collection of a million total
events, we end up with a 1 GB data file. We have found that the size of
this file can be reduced if you turn off the channels that you are not
using, but like any cytometry you just have to be careful that you do not
accidentally turn off a channel that you need (really this is just about
good planning).

Also on my Millipore provided computer I added a USB 3.0 card and
encourage my users to have a USB 3.0 flash drive. Without that it can take
forever to transfer data files from the computer to a flash drive. With
regard to the network infrastructure, given my data transfer needs, I was
able to convince the University to rewire my entire lab for gigabyte
ethernet. This makes a HUGE different over the standard 100mb ethernet.
Just looks for infrastructure things to consider. Some of these are
probably universal to any cytometer. Thanks and let me know how else we
can help,

Brian

‹
Brian K. McFarlin, PhD, FACSM, FTOS
Assistant Professor Exercise Physiology & Nutrition
University of North Texas
1155 Union Circle, #310769
Physical Education Bldg, Room 209
1921 Chestnut Street
Denton, TX 76203
Phone: (940) 565-3165
Fax: (940) 565-4904
Mobile: (713) 240-5806

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail message and attachments are intended
confidential and/or privileged material. University policy restricts the
dissemination of certain data and any unauthorized review, use, disclosure
or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient,
please contact the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the