[Cytometry] archiving data in a flow core?

Ruth Nissly rah38 at psu.edu
Fri Feb 14 14:17:01 EST 2014

Dear flow-ers,

If you are in a flow cytometry core facility, I have a question: What are the policies held by your core regarding data storage & archiving? Specifically:

-How long are users allowed to leave data on the acquisition computer?
-How are data files older than this time-period removed from the acquisition computer?
-Are old files stored as backups by the core? If so, for how long are the backups stored?

We're getting to the point where it's taking a lot of time and money to archive data that very few people actually ever request, so your advice/experience would be helpful in deciding how to move forward. For reference, we have files collected using CXP, Diva, Spigot, and Summit -- and we will soon also be getting imaging flow cytometry files.

Thank you,

Ruth Nissly

research technologist
Microscopy & Cytometry Facility
The Huck Institutes of the Life Sciences
Pennsylvania State University

W-124A Millennium Science Complex
University Park, PA 16802

1-814-863-2762