[Cytometry] Changed Subject: non-fluorochrome parameters in compensation

Cris Bare flowmail at verizon.net
Mon Feb 10 17:02:42 EST 2014

(Please note I changed the subject to avoid hijacking the thread.)

Gert,

Yes, that is exactly what you can do.

In DiVa, any parameter included in the global instrument settings at the
time when the compensation specimen is created will be available to create
a comp control tube. Parameters without comp controls can be deleted in the
pop-up window and tubes will not be created for them, but that parameter
channel ill be included in the instrument settings for the compensation
specimen.

That is important because then DiVa knows to calculate the spillover into
that parameter even if the parameter doesn't have a positive control sample.

The double edged sword of this approach is that if you add a parameter
after creating the compensation specimen, you need to recreate the
compensation specimen to get the instrument settings to match parameters.

This is one reason why I usually suggest always keeping/recording all
parameters in your experiment instrument settings. I've had numerous times
where I needed to go back and see the data from a different detector than
originally assigned (contamination, mislabeled tubes, etcetera). If I had
deleted everything except one or two parameters, I'd be missing important
info.

I've said it before and I'll say it again; disk space is cheap. Record
everything. The days when we were worried about KB are long gone.

-cbb