[Cytometry] Compensation, Cy5PE, and APC

Geza Paukovics paukovic at burnet.edu.au
Thu Feb 6 20:21:42 EST 2014

Dear Mario and Ian,

Mario I totally agree with your statements, while it can be tricky people
can in fact set a panel of PE, PE-Tx, PECy5, PECy5.5, PECy7, APC, AF700 and
APCCy7 IF they need to and their tandem fluorophores are "fresh", have good
integrity and are well taken care of (nominal if any tandem degradation
etc).
I also totally agree with Ian, that sometimes core managers recommend
fluorophores to eliminate potential problems, problems that can be avoided
looking at more "idle" clients. Not all labs are well funded, not all labs
are always busy, we know research can be cyclical, with periods of heavy
flow work = antibodies/fluorophores do not sit around. We all, as core
managers should know there is a number of important points to consider when
asked to recommend fluorophores. Target antigen expression is but one. Most
core managers also know the load of work each unit has or undertakes, staff
numbers etc... how quickly is the Ab-fluorophore going to be utilized in a
project is another important point. If you have clients with high work flow
rates with numerous staff, there is a good chance Ab usage will also be
high = Ab will be used up quickly, hence reducing the chance of tandem dye
degradation. How staff handle the Ab in a lab is also a factor. Sometimes
staff or students can be careless leaving an antibody uncapped under
fluorescent light or in a hood etc... this will especially affect tandem
conjugates. In a pressure environment where every cent and dollar needs to
be utilized, some people use "older" antibodies/tandem conjugates as well
(not out of date obviously). By some core manager recommending PECy5.5 (I
believe more stable over time) instead of PECy5 with APC, I think we're
helping our users to get the most "bang" out of their buck so to speak.
Some horses, are for some courses.
Happy Flowing all
Gez

On Fri, Feb 7, 2014 at 1:21 AM, Ian Dimmick <ian.dimmick at newcastle.ac.uk>wrote:

> Yes Mario , completely agree , however I think you have summed up the
> practical approach , that also avoids large dye spread , and reduction in
> sensitivity because of it , WHY BOTHER, when there are so many other
> alternates that you can go for , most popular being PEcy5.5
>
> I think those of us working in large core facilities very often consider
> what we can do (your last example ">(It might be noteworthy that we have
> used all of Cy5PE, Cy5.5PE, APC,") and what we should advise to end users
> that are perhaps utilising flow Cytometry , and not using it as their major
> interest or application .
>
> So don't knock people for being practical and working within the
> parameters of their core facilities , what works for one
>
> This is my weekly rant
>
> :)
>

> Ian
>

> Ian Dimmick
> Flow  Cytometry Core Facility Manager
> Newcastle Upon Tyne University
> Faculty of Medical Sciences
> Bioscience Centre (West Wing)
> International Centre for life
> Newcastle Upon Tyne
> NE1 3BZ
> UK
> Ian.Dimmick at ncl.ac.uk
> CFL Office                           Tel   0044 191 2418831
> CFL Laboratory                Tel   0044 191 241 8825
> Med. School office           Tel   0044 191 222 7155
> Med School Laboratory Tel   0044 191 222 7079
> Mobile number                Tel    0044 7970344823
>
> Website http://www.ncl.ac.uk/fccf
> Booking calendar http://flowcytometry.calendarhost.com
> Core facility Forms send to  fccf at newcastle.ac.uk

*Geza Paukovics*
AMREP Flow Cytometry Core Facility Manager
AMREP Senior Flow Cytometrist
Burnet: Corporate Support Services - Laboratory Services
VHPF Flow Cytometry Program Group
Sidney Myer Fund Flow Cytometry Unit
Monash: Monash Central School of Medicine (AMREP)

 [image: Burnet Institute]

85 Commercial Road, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia 3004
GPO Box 2284, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia 3001
*TEL* (03) 9282 2246 *LAB TEL* (03) 9903 0601
*EMAIL* paukovic at burnet.edu.au *WWW* http://www.burnet.edu.au

The Macfarlane Burnet Institute for Medical Research and Public Health Ltd
ABN 49 007 349 984