[Cytometry] Compensation, Cy5PE, and APC

Bill Eades eadesb at wustl.edu
Thu Feb 6 10:40:58 EST 2014

Repeated valuable advice for the most part, Mario, but I would consider using a different reference for analog deficiency.  In a world of controlled obsolescence, it may be proper to note that as archaic as the FACSCalibur may seem, it was way ahead of its time when it came to time delay exclusion.  In the lion’s share of FACSCalibur placements, the instruments were in fact not optimized to the point where they could adequately compensate PE-Cy5 (Tricolor, CyChrome) from APC or Alexa 647.  A fairly simple calibration for "pre pulse" could be performed to almost completely isolate the pulses emanating from delayed laser intercepts.  I know for a fact that this calibration was routinely performed at NIH, and that the covering BD engineer as well as myself back in the day, made certain that this laser delay exclusion could work with PE-Cy5 and APC coexisting.  Beyond that, there are a lot of FACSCaliburs still in use, or updated to digital, and that funding challenged cytometry sites will have to deal with being archaic.  It is not such a bad thing, and, it is in fact, your roots.  So, to your first point, there is a huge distinction between compensating parameters collected from different lasers than compensating primers collected on the same laser, if in fact, you have a FACSCalibur 4 color that has been properly set up by pre pulse adjustment.  The starting values will be very different when taken to any hardware or software subtraction functions, and the resultant digital spreading will be less.

In the furtherance of itemizing rant from reference, emission from cells is of course not collimated before it hits a laser intercept pinhole or fiber, which simply means that it can and will reach an adjacent intercept period, and its respective emission path.  The amount of off axis cross beam interference has much to do with the instrument’s distance between intercepts, and in the “new world” of cramming intercept points within an objective lens, even more care has to be taken to decide what laser goes to what adjacent intercept.  This is also the reason why dye choices should be nominally engineered not to incur direct spectral superimposition if at all possible.  Mario, we know what you can do, but your absolute simplification will in fact be a stumbling block to the “newbies” of flow.  Make the point, please, that is so informative regarding numbers versus graphic plotting, and that fear of compensation should be curbed, but do not forget that light is not nearly as manageable as a person would think, especially when we are leveraging accurate light detection with multiplexing demands.  I have learned so much from you, which makes it so shocking to me that you tend to simplify so.
Bill

William C. Eades
Assistant Professor, Division of Oncology
Director, Siteman Flow Cytometry Core Lab
Office- 701B Southwest Tower
Lab- 703 Southwest Tower
Phone- 314.362.9364
Shipping address: